Saturday, September 09, 2006

Sharpies

Have you seen that commercial where the mom can't put the baby down or it cries? They show her trying to pack lunches for her older children and she sets the baby on the floor and he cries. She lifts him up and automatically he stops. Then she just puts his toes on the floor and he screams again and up he goes into her arms. She takes it all in stride and whips out her Sharpie retractable pen and manages to write the kids' names on their lunch sacks and adds a cute flower for the girl's bag, even. She manages to write on other things too, all while holding this baby (who is really maybe a year old or so).

Today, that crying baby is mine. I realize that my baby is only 2 months old, but every time I've set him down today, he's cried. I do have carriers to hold him in, but my back is already killing me and I have been bending down a lot today and since I don't trust baby wraps 100% to hold my baby in while I bend, that defeats the whole purpose. At least in my mind it does. I would love to just sit and hold him all day, but then nothing would get done and I'd become irritable and we don't want that. So like the Sharpie mom, I am left to do things one-handed while holding a baby. And amazingly, I got a lot of things done today. Maybe I'm more productive using only one hand/arm. Hmm...don't tell anyone...let's keep it our little secret.

3 comments:

Meemer said...

Moms really are amazing with what they can do one handed.

Heather said...

I can so relate to you & that commercial, Becky. The funniest part is Sam had that exact same outfit & now Bill wears it.

Olivia said...

I tagged you at my blog...
http://www.one-day-after-another.blogspot.com/